Gotcha – bet you thought this was going to be the candy! I love to have a little fun presenting my Easter Buffet. I searched Google Images for a picture of deviled eggs and saw this. It’s my recipe – it’s their picture!
- Allow about 20 minutes to hard boil eggs
- Preparation time approximately 15 to 20 minutes
- 1 dozen eggs
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Note: you may need a bit more of the mustard and mayo if you are using jumbo eggs
- Approximately1 tablespoon minced onion (I grate the onion right into the egg yolk mixture – just enough to make it interesting
- Approximately 1 teaspoon Lemon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste – I don’t use much salt because the lemon in the pepper
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- You can also add a couple dashes of Tabasco sauce if you like
- 12 small black olives, cut in half
- 12 baby carrots with the tips cut off (this forms the beak of your ‘Peep’. You can slice the remaining end of the carrots to form little feet if you like.
1 Put eggs in large sauce pan – add enough cold water to completely cover eggs. Add a teaspoon of vinegar to the water (this helps keep egg whites from leaking out from the shells if they crack while cooking). Add about ½ teaspoon salt to the water.
2 Over medium high heat, bring the water to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low.
3 Cook for 20 minutes at a slow boil.
4 Remove from heat, drain hot water and cover eggs with cold water. Let sit until eggs cool down. Change the water at about 7 minutes. Slightly crack the eggs at this point – it will make them easier to peel when they are completely cooled. Continue cooling until eggs feel cool to the touch.
5 Remove eggs from pan
6 Peel the eggs. Using a sharp knife, slice each egg diagonally not lengthwise. Cut the egg so that one piece is a bit larger than the other. You will use the larger piece for the base of the ‘Peep’ and the other will be the top. Gently remove the yolk halves and place in a small mixing bowl. Arrange the bottom egg white pieces on a serving platter. Set aside the other piece
7 Using a fork, mash up the yolks and add mustard, mayonnaise, minced onion and garlic powder plus desired amount of salt and lemon pepper. Spoon (pile) egg yolk mixture into the egg white base. Be sure that egg yolk mixture is piled above the edge of the egg white piece.
8 Place the remaining piece of egg white on top of the piled egg yolk mixture.
9 Make your‘Peep’ face by using two pieces of an olive for the eyes and the small tip of the carrot. Gently push the olives and beak into the yolk
10 You can place your ‘Peeps’ on a bed of green leaf lettuce and place the remaining carrot pieces at the base to look like the little feet. Too cute!
Yield: 1 dozen ‘Peeps”