One of my favorites to make and serve is Matzo Brei – it is easy and so tasty. It actually tastes like eggs with potatoes – it is an illusion!
Ingredients to make 4 ‘pancakes’
- 2 sheets of matzo crackers
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Just a little grated onion – perhaps ¼ of an onion – adds a special flavor
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Break matzo into small pieces – just about ½’; put in a medium bowl. Cover with very hot water. Let stand for about 30 seconds, then drain. Place matzo on a paper towel
- Beat eggs in another medium bowl; season with salt and pepper to taste. Add drained matzo; mix until combined. Mixture will form a batter.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spoon batter into skillet – this makes 4 pancakes1/4-cupfuls of batter into skillet,
- Fry, turning once, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 1 minute per side.
- I love serving this with just a little jam or preserves on top of each pancake. My favorite is Orange Marmalade.
Each serving is 2 pancakes – so you will want to increase the ingredients depending on how many guests you have.
On occasion I don’t even make into pancakes – I just put in pan and cook like scrambled eggs – but I do turn because I like the flavor of the golden brown taste. And when you prepare this way, you will swear you are eating eggs with fried potatoes.
Really, really yummy. Enjoy these lovely Google Images – one with the crackers, pancakes then just like scrambled eggs